Sunday, October 01, 2006

Week 4: Indianapolis vs. Jets


This may well have been the best experience possible to have at this job. Personally, the day was great. Good sales - going over $800 in sales got me the $20 bonus - a great game and magnificent weather.

I hustled around the lower level of the stadium for about 45 minutes (11:45-12:30) trying to snap a picture of peyton manning. I got antsy and started rolling around even took the freight elevator to the 3rd floor just to get a burlap sack originally intended for peanuts. It worked out I had time.

As you can see from the picture here the Jets have a late arriving crowd; this picture is taken less than 20 minutes before kickoff. It is very difficult to sell at Jet games in the 7 minutes before and after kickoff. That's the 14 minutes 70% of the crowd chooses to come in.

This isn't a chiq thing like a Friday night regular season Laker game at Staples Center. This is a Jersey middle class desire to get as loaded as possible in the parking lot built on a swamp in the shadow of Manhattan thing, and the guy that runs the frieght elevator informed me of this today, uncolicited. The stadium was still half empty for the national anthem.

I guit cheering for UT with my heart in late september of 1997 after another drilling in the swamp. Peyton got smashed again. Charles Woodson only made that easier by and when archie's boy couldnt even show up for the 2nd half against nebraska to help michigan out I was fussy and quit thinking knoxville orange in the same way. for more on my college football ideas please chack out this

It was easier to watch the game today for some reason. i saw most of the plays... I was behind the wall counting and securing money when the Jets successfully executed an onside kick

I was happy when my morning decision to take dante stallworth off my starting team and bring Dominic Rhodes off my bench paid off before I had made it through the shady south end of the stadium. manning's numbers were not huge because the colts ran the ball 35 times. They were a more physical team and they made the plays on defense. Oddly, they won like New England today.
Stats from nfl.com

The most indelible play of the game to me is an incomplete pass from manning to marvin harrison in the back of the end zone near the end of the 2nd quarter. They have another level of timing and rythym so impressive. It didnt work only because the Jets had a guy wait specifically to bat down a ball lobbed just outside the back of the endzone, a play you have seen 18 and 88 make many times in the last 9 years. They new it was coming and still the guy has to make a spectacular play to.

also i think about how I remember watching the Jets lose to the Colts at Giants stadium on september 9, 2001. only i was on a couch.

Indy star report
From the jets team site

No comments: