Monday, March 27, 2006

So its basically all over for me

When Adam Morrison began crying while his team was still only down 3 with time onm the clock I got a bad feeling. Only seconds earlier it looked as though Gonzaga would advance and I would have selected the first 4 teams of the elite 8 correctly.

Even as it was I had 5 of 8 correct going into Saturday's Regional Semifinal games. I cheered for LSU, but had picked Texas earlier despite my great dislike for that school. I tried to watch UCLA/Memphis, but falling in and out of coma my attention lagged. Memphis' high-powered offense only crossed the 40-point mark with less than 14 seconds remaining on the clock.

Then Sunday.
I went into the day fairly sure UCONN would advance. Honestly, how can an 11-seed get to the final 4. Sure, there was LSU in '86. but, that is a big school from a power conference. No matter.
This was the biggest upset in the last ... I dont know a bigger upset in the history of the NCAA tournament. George Mason from the CAA. WHAT!?

Still Villanova would get in, and I at least would have one team in the Final 4.
Denied again.

So for the first time in the last all of my life I did not select a single team correctly for the Final 4. In 1993 I selected all of the teams correctly. I had 3 of them right in 2004. This year, not one. And keep in mind going into Saturday I still had all 4 teams alive that I had selected.

so now i say... nothing, predictions saved for another day.

No comments: